Over the years everything that is ‘natural and organic’ has earned great popularity. Most beauty products claim to be exactly this, natural and organic, and they boast a seemingly endless list of health benefits, many of which are rather too long and complicated to read. Beauty companies are constantly competing for the best place on the shelves with many claiming that their products are gluten, sulphate and paraben free. A huge chunk of the population suddenly became intolerant to gluten and every smart beauty brand got a new advertising tool to play with. But what do we actually put on our bodies remains unknown. My latest attempt was a body wash from Skin declaring to be free from everything but I have to tell you, I never felt my skin drier.
And after constantly failing to find the perfect match for my skin, I took the courage to try and make my own homemade body lotion for dry skin. There are a great deal of online recipes to choose from and once you know the basics you can create your very own natural cosmetic. To go more into depth one would need to familiarise himself with the uses and benefits of essential oils, natural ingredients and so on.
So here is my first homemade body lotion with coconut and cacao oil, beeswax and essential oils that is non greasy, ultra-moisturising, easy to make, smells great and makes the skin super smooth and soft. This lotion will soften your skin and ease any discomfort of dryness.
While adding essential oils to your cream isn’t necessary, they can really help you to address any problem with your skin. Before adding the essential oils of you choice, you can soak some herbs in them. The two main butters I used are coconut and cacao but for denser texture you can replace the coconut with shea.
- ½ cup almond or gear wheat oil / optional you can soak herbs in them /
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon shea butter
- 2 teaspoons apricot oil
- 5 drops glycerin
- 5 tablespoons coconut butter
- ¼ cup beeswax
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E
- Essential oils:
- Tee tree
- Or any other natural extracts to suit your preferences.
- Mix all ingredients in a large glass jar.
- Fill water in small saucepan and heat on medium heat.Place the jar in the pot.
- First melt the beeswax and then add the shea, cacao and coconut butter. With the gradual heating of the water, the ingredients will begin to melt so you need to stir the mixture well.
- When fully melted remove from the heat and add the borax and stir well.
- Add vitamin E and the essential of your choice and mix well until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Once ready transfer the mixture in a clean jar with a tight fitting lid. Do not use pump as well not pass through it.
- Use it as you use regular body lotion and hand cream.
- Since all ingredients are natural and stable, the cream will have a much longer shelf life than other domestic lotions. Use within six months to use to fully enjoy its moisturising properties.