The hot summer days here in Thailand are endless and shining sun tireless. Every drop of rain or larger and heavy clouds are always welcome, at least for me, a person who likes to stay under the shade and someone who would moan whenever the temperature crosses the endurable 27C mark. I shower three to four times a day and it is no surprise that I am only hungry for fruits and light food, although I thoroughly enjoyed the coconut curried lentils and raw vegan carrot & pumpkin cake yesterday.
As I have been eating more cooked dishes lately, although I eat between 4 and 5 mangoes a day and a few apples in between, I feel the need to limit the cooked food from my menu. This Raw Grain-Free Tabbouleh is a good start and it makes a great light summery lunch especially if you want something quick and easy.
This a different and rather unusual take on the traditional Middle Eastern Tabbouleh salad. As I want to keep it grain-free, I replaced the bulgur with cauliflower, which it can be substituted for regular rice or other grains and added raw almonds. I used fresh mint instead of parsley, which here in Thailand tastes slightly different but still good, and added green onions, raw hemp, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
I made the dressing lightly sweet by adding a little maple syrup to the olive oil, lemon and salt. It is flavourful enough to beat the earthy cauliflower taste.
And here is the recipe:
- ½ large cauliflower,
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced. I couldn't find any in Koh Phangan so I used normal tomatoes.
- 1 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 1 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- For the dressing:
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Chop the tomatoes
- Great the cauliflower
- Slice the avocado
- Put the almonds in high speed blender
- Stir the green onion, mint, almonds, seeds, cauliflower, avocado and tomato into the bowl.
- Whisk the dressing in a small glass and pour onto the salad.
- Adjust on salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve it immediately or place it in the fridge for a few hours.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds just before serving.